niedziela, 19 lutego 2017

A bouquet of grey roses

Dear Readers,

do you know this feeling when you've been making one thing for so long that you can't even look at it any more? ;-) I've been working on this dress on and off since December and few days ago I finally finished it. It's a good thing as it really has tired me out. But - off we go to the photos.

       I've used a modern pattern with a modern design, which could be easily modified for a vintage look; it's Butterick B5984. As I've suspected, quite a few changes were needed-the most important of which was to modify the princess seams of the front and side bodice panels to accommodate the bullet/cone shape bra. I didn't have to make the ususal FBA as the pattern had the A-B-C-D cup options, which was a nice change. The pattern was drafted to accommodate a modern, sphere-like, heavy bust shape and I had to change the seam curve below the bust from convex to a clearly pronounced concave one.

      I've lengthened the skirt, shaved off a little bit of the décolletage and altered the sleeves' length as well. As for the above-mentioned décolletage, I think it's the most beautiful element of the design. It's quite big and geometrical, but it doesn't expose the breasts at all and therefore does not look cheap, even with so much skin exposed. The extra emphasis on it  made with contrasting band is also wonderful, making a portrait-perfect frame for the face.

        The main fabric was bought by my Husband in...IKEA. It's a heavy, quilting weight cotton and it works wonderful with the circle cut of the skirt. The belt and the contrasting bands are made from  some heavy cotton twill. The bodice and sleeves are lined with ivory cotton batiste, having all of the seam allowances enclosed in a snow-white satin bias binding. 

I'd like to thank my Husband once again for these photos and his patience to take them.

        The skirt has its own separate lining, made from the one-and-only superior lining from Truro Fabrics; it's attached only at the waist and the zipper opening. The zipper is hidden behind a placket, prick-stitched to make it almost invisible. The circle skirt and the separate circle lining are both finished with a hand-stitched rolled hem, which took more than enough time. ;) There are satin lingerie guards to help hide the bra straps and a cream grosgrain waist-stay. I think I'll make a whole new post for you just to show you the insides and finishing techniques used making the dress. Meanwhile-

 a bow

 ...and a cat bonus

Thank you for reading!